Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Letter to Simon Wiesenthal in response to his question at the end of "The Sunflower"

Upon reading your book, The Sunflower, I found myself being ripped apart by the giants of grace and authority; of compassion and vengeance. While perhaps I could think of some articulate answer to your question, decades in hindsight, as a non-Jew in modern day America where persecution is far from my mind and comfort seems to reign, I have no right to answer such a question. I have never been persecuted, never been tortured, never truly felt ignored and sub-human. How then can my answer to this question be of any service or consolation to you? (For I know it is this that you must seek) Your question has now forced me into the same situation as when you were asked. Just as you were told of the horrific things of Karl’s past, so now, have I been told and am aware.
You have called me to this moment of forgiveness and then asked me to forgive you your silence. Why must you ask? What are you unsure of. Would it have been better to have lashed out at Karl as much of the pain as you could. If you can’t forgive for a race though, how can you avenge one?
You have effectually brought me into the camp (though as I lie now in bed comfort is still supreme). You have showed me this world—this depression. You have told me your actions, but then with words and my distorted psyche you would have me tell you my reaction. I cannot put myself there, for I am not like you. I am more like the killers yet your question begs my response. My answer can hold consolation for your actions or lack thereof, or it may carry with it, anger, disappointment, and blame. In either case I would be forced to justify or unjustify something to which I cannot personally relate nor have the right and authority to approve or disapprove.
For my own part, I will say that I am much the poet—not so much with writing as with living. Old English words of snipy vengeances and excommunications, of casual beheadings and wars dominate my views on justice. If eyes were gouged when an eye was taken, would not fewer eyes be taken? I am an obstinate man in thought with ideas such as these, but my temperament would not have me be so bold in the face of Karl’s question. As for your question I must speak no more. I can’t.
In God’s grace,
Logan A. Mosteller

No comments:

Post a Comment