Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I stood there (a second attempt at spoken word on wasting opportunities)

Rain fell that night
You and I dripped in the house
Sweat and summer rain formed puddles on the hardwoods but we didn’t care
It felt like kissing in a pool; the water in between your mouth and mine
I’d swim that ocean however long if your lips were on the other side
And we stopped and I saw that question in your eyes
I said, “don’t close your eyes I can’t bear not to see them
And I hope that’s not a tear
And it wasn’t,
You blinked and I kissed you
I missed you
My hands landed somewhere on your back I guess
Though I wish they were elsewhere.
I was feeling much now
You leaned in a little more and kissed me back
This time I stopped confused as to why a woman like you would want to do so
And you did so
You smiled unfreezing me my mouth dropping open
You numbed me and filled me flying inside
And I stood there.
I longed to love you and wondered how
But all you needed was me present, now
And I stood there
As you played the lead
And I not an actor more like a stage
You poured yourself into me and I let you go through
You poured out my ears and out my nose
You dribbled out of my mouth and fell like sand through my fingers
And I stood there
Later that night as you did all that you could do
You left as I stood in thought
And as I pondered,
You wandered
I wondered where
There
in your bed you fell exhausted, disheartened
As the rain washed nothing away
You loved that night
I thought that night
You cried that night
And I stood there


No comments:

Post a Comment