Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What do we know?


It seems that, conversationally people tend to preface arrogant words with phrases like I don’t claim to know everything. Yet, I feel this is a quite thin cop-out for an arrogance built on shallow understanding. (E.g. one can know everything about nothing, even though this is just a kinder way of saying that we know nothing.) I strive to live a life so hit-you-in-the-face honest it runs the severe risk of misrepresentation. I don’t glaze my life with the sweet nothing of feigned and arrogant humility (yes, one may be arrogant in their humility). Of course, it is obvious that no one would claim to know everything; it would take a child to ask a single question to prove that fact. The problem is that we too often claim to know anything at all. I am the chief of such a sin. I don’t believe that I am arrogant in what I know, by the world’s standards I do know a fair amount, but I do believe I am the victim of my selfish laziness. In that I resisted so faint-heartedly he temptation and the false truth that I am mine own. It is the confused and muddled false truth that has become so a part of my nature that leaves me seemingly stranded on an island of hopeless selfishness. Hopeless in that I can’t not be selfish and hopeless in that being selfish no longer fulfills. Both darts fierily pierce the amorphous structure of my heart, with the sting of grace, the impending tempest of confession, and the beautiful glimpse at the realization that under me rest two steadfast arms. Perfect in love. Perfect in power. Harmonious in relationship. And abounding, undeservedly so, in grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment