Monday, October 22, 2012

Finally

Your eyes are one of the few things that make me smile
They light up when I talk and my insides are on fire
Your voice is pure and imperfect like Katy Perry without auto-tune
It beats the drums in my ears like the heartbeat of a blue whale
Your hands are always cold
But I will hold them in the dead of winter so you are always a part of me
Your legs are slender ivory towers
Often caressed in tight denim and all I can do is want you more
Your hair holds more secrets than any chamber
It is dark like the night but then
Your smile shines like heaven in Paul’s eyes
It’s so beautiful it could kill a man

I fell in love with each part of you
I fell in love and wrote 7 different poems
All about a different part
Idolizing each individually because the thought of them together
Was too much hope for my cynical heart

When you came along
It took me way too long to see
I looked at you and saw only my dreams
My heart blocked off everything about you
You were like pictures in a mansion I was unworthy to look at
When you let me in
When you let my heart search and know you like the back of my eyelids
I shot myself with hope
Drowned in the galaxy of your mind
Melted into your subconscious
Found a place to sit with you
I sat with you decades under the stars
I wrapped myself around you like a blanket
Folding myself into your curves tucking you in
To my memories
So I knew you weren’t my imagination
I wanted to borrow God’s breath
Whisper the stars to you
Hurricane the moon to earth
See it light you up in my dreams
As we watched tides that were way too large
My mind longed to watch you every second
Clicking photographs every moment
Watching you change
I zoomed way too close on your eye
The camera exploded in green and gold
Like the sunset of resurrection
Your eyes, indefinable like an eagle
Played freeze tag with mine
In space
And comets struck the chartreuse plain of your iris
Colliding and fracturing bits of emerald and flecks of gold
And at that moment
As planets spun in your eye
As your face looked like every smile you’d ever wore
Dancing with your hair
Like Etta James, “At Last”
I realized
You were the one I’d written for

No comments:

Post a Comment