Friday, January 14, 2011

Ski a Different Snow

The snow burned my ungoggled eyes as I sped down the slope of Snowshoe’s icy white slide. The icicles cracked off only to refreeze on my eyelashes they trembled as so did my knees. My toboggan and scarf make me concerned by appearance, though it shouldn’t have made all that much difference. My sister, Morgan, just one step behind and my dad gets up from his skid down the slide. At four o’ clock the mountains would be stilled, this was our last ride for that year. As we slid down to an ice crackling stop, the ski lift was empty and the man asked us girls if we wanted to go up. What was it about that checkered hat that day I had lost my manhood and I was still cold in the heat of May. I started to defend myself as we waited for Dad, but he was nowhere to be found and the lift man said “Now!” and up we went scanning the blanket below, he was nowhere to be found and we didn’t know where to go. The icy ride ended and we slid off the chair, my foot was one big ice covered toe and my mind wandered. Where forth to go? Our hotel could only be a few moments away. In fact we were wrong as the snow mobile skidded beside us as we trod cross country lead feeted. He knew not from where we heralded and stayed but told us the bus station’s just a mile that way. I was going to die on that ice; a mile away, seemed much more miles more on that forsaken day, but as we trudged on through the birches and pine, I led us to the bus in the nick of time. Eons it took for the bus to come ‘round, but O what rejoicing was found in its sound. We stood among giants and drunken trees as we climbed to the resort half on our knees. Our skis now off and carried them we must, I couldn’t make it that far and I left them in the dust. Frozen so cold our lips wouldn’t budge we rode that gold elevator and into our room we trudged. As tears erupted like the Fourth of July My mother, my sister embraced as we cried. My Daddy was gone searching for we, how pleasant it is to be loved like me. As he opened the door panic gripped his eyes as his search had been hopeless and somewhat in vain, but as he looked in our faces and met our eyes, his face glowed, grateful for our lives. After this O, so telling a tale, we ate that night grateful for all on our plate, for all those around us, for eaters who’ve ate. That night was one of the best nights of my life as our family pulled closer and God held me right by his side!

No comments:

Post a Comment